Skip to main content

The Seven Husband of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid


I get hooked up with this book for 2 reasons. It has a very beautiful book cover and an intriguing book title. When I select the book to be in my reading list, I keep on thinking about what could be possible behind every husband she had. One thing I thought about was that this book might be about Evelyn's seven times of marriages in her life. The farther I read, the more the story came out of my surprise and even more than what I imagined. Before anything, I would like to remind that my review might contain spoiler. Might, but just a little bit should be okay, right?

The novel tells the story of the fictional Old Hollywood star Evelyn Hugo, who at the age of 79 decides to give a final interview to an unknown journalist, Monique Grant. Although Evelyn Hugo was loosely based in part on actresses Elizabeth Taylor, Reid created Evelyn Hugo to be the glorious star in her storytelling. While reading this book, I googled more about Elizabeth Taylor and learned about her 8 marriages and her glamorous life. Once again Reid won my heart for writing such a very beautiful and engaging narrative.  

I keep on asking myself why Evelyn called for Monique Grant and the answer came towards the end. I couldn't be bothered much about Monique's life with David although she was getting the solution from the journey of Evelyn's story. I took it as a base of deviating attention. Trust me, worth the patience, you had while reading this through. I admire how Evelyn was portrayed. Everything was perfect. Evelyn that I knew in this book is the Evelyn who would do anything for the only relationship that she treasures the most.

Reid seems to be an expert in bringing the stories of the marriage. This is not the first book of hers that I have read, and she has injected the soul to every book that she has written about relationship and marriage. 

Just like what she has written in this book, 
"Some marriages aren’t that great. Some loves aren’t all-encompassing. Sometimes you separate because you weren’t that good together, to begin with. Sometimes divorce isn’t an earth-shattering loss. Sometimes it’s just two people waking up out of a fog.”

Reid sums up all of the marriage scenarios in one paragraph which made her story became more to live.

Another part that I love about this book is how Reid made me understand more about the role and need of every partner in a marriage. It's like learning about how to build a good relationship and maintain your marriage in peace and harmony. Reid described Don as the basic of partner's need in a marriage. Learn about your partner and do things right for him or her. I get that, Reid. 

It touches my heart when Evelyn told Harry that he and she are soul mates written in the stars. And the best friend type of soul mates that she clings with Harry. Can I just cry at this part? Harry was too kind, understanding and giving what Evelyn wants for what he needs. At this point, I begin to shock learning about things that Reid has been keeping along my journey reading this book. 

I honestly would say that the conflicts in this story bring out the best in every situation created. Although it was a stressful conflict, I became patient in waiting to know more how Evelyn would handle it. Seriously, I cannot move on from this book and keep on rewinding the scenes.

I better stop writing, otherwise, I might be spilling more spoilers in this review. But before I stop, I m gonna keep this paragraph in my memories and I will remember Evelyn Hugo as how she was; that she was once an exquisite character that I enjoy to know in my entire reading life.

“Doesn’t it bother you? That your husbands have become such a headline story, so often mentioned, that they have nearly eclipsed your work and yourself? That all anyone talks about when they talk about you are the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo?”And her answer was quintessential Evelyn. “No,” she told me. “Because they are just husbands. I am Evelyn Hugo. And anyway, I think once people know the truth, they will be much more interested in my wife.”
Excerpt - The Seven Husband of Evelyn Hugo, Taylor Jenkins Reid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seni Berfikir Yang Hilang Oleh Hasrizal Abdul Jamil

  Tajuk: Seni Berfikir Yang Hilang Penulis: Hasrizal Abdul Jamil Penerbit: Iman Publication Sdn Bhd Format Buku: Paperback Muka surat: 263 Rating: 5/5 Seni Berfikir Yang Hilang merupakan sebuah hidangan ilmu yang enak, hasil tulisan Hasrizal Abdul Jamil. Beliau memberikan kupasan menarik tentang buku Thaqafah Al-Da'iyah yang ditulis oleh Syeikh Prof. Dr. Yusuf Al-Qaradawi. Ilmu yang dibawa di dalam naskah Thaqafah Al-Da'iyah merupakan ilmu yang membentuk identiti umat Islam sebagai umat dakwah yang berilmu, membudayakan ilmu, bertanggungjawab terhadap kesempurnaan ilmu dalam menyebarkan ilmu dunia dan akhirat dengan baik dan berkesan.  Bukanlah bererti pembacaan buku ini khusus untuk mereka yang ingin menjadi pendakwah, tetapi ia merupakan makanan minda dan rohani untuk diri sendiri supaya dapat membudayakan ilmu dengan memperbetulkan proses menjalani kehidupan seharian dengan lebih baik berdasarkan Syar'iatullah dan Sunnatullah. Enam cabang ilmu yang dikupas se

Ulasan Buku – BlogTwit Tour Bersama SUMPAH oleh Shaz Johar

Salam hormat. Hai semua!  Kini tibalah giliran saya untuk meneruskan perjalanan  BlogTwit Tour bersama SUMPAH karya Shaz Johar . Anjuran UntitledBC dan Buku Fixi .  Sudahkan anda bersedia? Jom kita menyelami keunikan SUMPAH. Tajuk: SUMPAH  Penulis: Shaz Johar  Penerbit: Buku Fixi  Format: Paperback dan e-book  Sumber: Buku Fixi  Muka Surat: 292  Rating: 5/5 stars  SINOPSIS Kerana desakan hidup, Lela Palatute yang baru berusia 12 tahun telah dikahwinkan dengan seorang lelaki yang jauh lebih tua oleh ibunya sendiri. Dia kemudian terpaksa menjalani kehidupan sebagai seorang isteri dalam sebuah banglo mewah yang diwarisi suaminya, jauh dari kehidupan lamanya sebagai remaja yang masih bersekolah.  Semasa menerokai banglo itu dan kawasan sekitarnya, dia telah bertemu seorang wanita tua yang mahu membunuhnya serta makhluk misteri di dalam loteng yang sering mengikutnya ke mana-mana. Enggan terus hidup diselubungi misteri, Lela merancang cara untuk kembali kepada kehidupan asalnya dan keluar